Friday, June 17, 2011

This is for my “Bapi” that is what I call my Dad



Well my father, who I prefer calling “Bapi” which happens to be the Bengali for “Dad” is the only man I had in my life till I got married. So this Father’s Day, I find it my privilege to scribble down a couple of words in appreciation of him. This post is a tribute to him for being “him” on this special day.

He had been a constant source of inspiration for both me and kid sister. However I know him for a longer time than she does. Moreover my relationship with my Bapi is completely different than my sister’s. This is quite obvious as I am the elder one and a separate individual than her. So the relationship is bound to differ.

When I was a kid I hardly used to see him around because of his work. He had joined a new company that he served for 28 long years. I watched him work hard, wear simple clothes, take a bus to his office instead of a car (not that he could not, but he would not as he thought that would be unnecessary luxury) and live life in an unpretentious way. There is another reason for this as he comes from a not-so-rich family where he was taught to be humble. Success has never gone to his head and he still has his feet firmly in the ground.

He is the youngest among four siblings and has always managed to rise to the occasion. Anytime anyone needed his help he was always there. I have seen him play the roles of a dutiful son, courteous brother, caring husband and an excellent father to us. At times I still imagine how can someone be playing all these characters so perfectly?

His technique of parenting and raising me in particular has been unique. He loves me dearly, but he would not express that openly lest I get spoilt. Now that I have grown up and he is retired, he still thinks me to be his little princess who may tread the wrong way with too much of pampering. It is actually fun watching him do that. At this point, that I understand all of this, he still pretends to scold and guide me through life. He has never let me fall as I knew, I always have his support. It is gives me great pleasure to introduce my Bapi to all of you. That’s his photograph right before his retirement in January this year. Bapi I love you and wish you a very “HAPPY FATHER’S DAY” through Soumi’s World.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this! Found your link on LinkedIn. You've made excellent, open and personal statement about someone obviously who's meant much to you. As someone going thru this same role-model setting duty as father now (with my young daughter), admire your dad for having done an excellent job for you, too. Very difficult and takes much sacrifice. Also, you appear to be well-educated and expressive. Congratulations! Both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan,

      Thanks I am really touched that someone has seen through the emotions that well. Keep reading :)

      Delete